Brighton Arts and Culture Commission
2017 Biennial Sculpture Exhibit
Call to Artists!
The City of Brighton Arts and Culture Commission (BACC) is seeking submissions of outdoor sculptures for exhibit in the 2017 Biennial Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit in and around Downtown Brighton. The chosen sculptures will be shown in high profile locations in Downtown Brighton. Online and print brochures will be provided to the public to inspire self-guided and docent walking tours of the exhibit. Selected pieces will be exhibited for a minimum of two years. Installation of the pieces will be coordinated with the Brighton Fine Arts Festival in August 2017. All work must remain in the exhibit and be for sale for the entire duration. The deadline for application submissions is April 7, 2017
Only freestanding sculptures for outdoor display will be considered. Entries will be critiqued based on artistic merit, originality, standards of public safety and durability of design and materials. The exhibit is open to all artists 18 years of age or older. Artists may submit up to three (3) original sculptures. Please download and print a copy of the application and complete it in its entirety at: https://goo.gl/M9WVZC
Benefits to the Exhibiting Sculptor
- Stipend for exhibiting sculptors (amount depends on size of sculpture – see application)
- High visibility sites in downtown Brighton
- Several exhibition sculptures have been purchased while on display in Brighton
- Press releases and brochures distributed in southeast Michigan in print and electronic media, a page on the website of the Principal Shopping District and the City of Brighton (the brochure for the last exhibit can be viewed here: https://goo.gl/wnYBLa )
- Additional exposure for the sculptures through arts programming designed for the community and coordinated with the Brighton Art Guild and the Brighton School District
In order to be included in the selection process each application package must contain the following:
- Completed application
- Resume and artist statement, including sales price of sculpture(s)
- High resolution images (300 dpi measuring 5” x 7”) of each submitted piece and a detailed description of each piece
Email to: email@example.com
Mail to: Brighton Arts & Culture Commission, Attention: Jessica Reed
200 N. First St., Brighton, MI 48116
Artists are responsible for delivery and pick up of their sculptures and are required to be present during installation by the City of Brighton. The City of Brighton will provide the equipment needed for unloading, placing, and securing of the sculptures to the assigned concrete pads and/or pedestals. Each artist will be contacted for an appointment date and time for installation. Each cement pad and/or pedestal will have bolts in place to secure the sculptures. Once the pieces have been selected for the exhibition, secure mounting procedures will be discussed in detail with the artist(s).
The Brighton Arts & Culture Commission has authorized a $1,000 stipend per piece for large sculptures to be located on 96” x96” concrete pedestals. A $500 stipend per piece has been approved for smaller sculptures to be located on 2’x2’x3’6h concrete pedestals.
Selected artists will be required to sign and return the “Artist Revocable License Agreement” prior to installation of their sculpture(s). The City of Brighton shall be responsible for obtaining appropriate liability insurance for the Sculpture(s) and the Artist shall be responsible for obtaining insurance for damage to the Sculpture itself.
Contact Jessica Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (810) 225-9257 if you have any questions.