Yard Waste and Leaf Collection Information
Yard Waste Collection
Brighton's Yard Waste program is one of 120 programs across the state of Michigan.
Yard waste is environmentally friendly; when composted:
Yard waste is collected and shipped locally for composting at Tuthill Farms in South Lyon.
- Compost provides nutrients to the soil,
- Increases beneficial soil organisms (e.g., worms and centipedes),
- Suppresses plant diseases reducing the need for fertilizers and pesticides,
- Protects soil from erosion,
- Assists in pollution remediation.
The City of Brighton's 2019 curbside yard waste collection program will begin the week of April 1, 2019 and will continue through November 27, 2019 This service is provided to all City of Brighton residents.
During the spring and summer months, yard waste will be picked up on your regularly-scheduled trash pickup day every other week by our refuse contractor, Waste Management.
The yard waste removal service is provided as part of your City's Refuse Collection services and is paid for by the "Refuse Collection" on your bi-monthly utility bill. Yard waste services are available any resident that currently receives curbside waste removal services.
Please following this link to access the City's 2019 Yard Waste Calendar.
More than 67 percent of the municipal solid waste produced in the United States (including paper) can be composted, although, certain organic materials should not be composted at home. Before you compost, be aware of what materials are appropriate.
Yard Waste Guidelines
- Yard waste includes leaves, twigs and branches, grass clippings and other organic materials such as flowers, weeds and garden plants.
- Brush and sticks should be bundled together. Please note that brush must be cut in 4-foot lengths or less and bundled. Limbs cannot be greater than 4 inches in diameter. Bundles should not exceed 60 pounds.
- All grass and leaves must be placed in compostable paper bags or approved, and properly labeled, containers. Bags should not exceed 60 pounds.
- There is a 10 bundle pickup limit in the spring and summer.
- Place yard waste along the curb by 6:00 a.m.
Fall Yard Waste Collection
The City of Brighton’s 2019 Fall Yard Waste and Leaf Collection Program will begin the week of September 30, 2019. At that time, yard waste and leaf bags will be picked up every week on your normal trash pickup day through November 27, 2019.
Please store your brown yard waste bags where they are not exposed to heavy rain. Yard waste bags should be stored in the garage or under an overhang. If heavy rain is expected in the evening before your pickup day, we are asking residents to place yard waste bags out in the early morning. Wet, heavy leaves/yard waste can cause collection issues.
Leaf Vacuuming Service
In addition to the weekly Fall Yard Waste and Leaf Collection, the City of Brighton will also offer Curbside Leaf Vacuuming. This typically begins during the first or second week in October. Please check back to see the schedule.
will be vacuumed; brush, pine needles, and twigs do not process in the machine. If the leaf pile in front of your home contains sticks, twigs, or pine needles, the pile will not be vacuumed and you will need to place them in bags for pickup. Additionally, if there is a vehicle or vehicles parked on or near your leaf pile, they will not be able to vacuum. Residents are asked to rake their leaves into the street and/or gutter
. Please note that high piles of leaves could cause site view obstructions for vehicles and may make it difficult for crews to vacuum. Leaves should be spread out along your property’s curb line.
The leaves will be vacuumed in the areas indicated on the map and schedule below. If we are scheduled to be in your area, please have the leaves in the street by Monday morning
of that week. Click this link
or scroll down to see the schedule map. The schedule is as follows: