The Board of Review may grant a hardship exemption to a taxpayer who qualifies and files an application. These applications can be considered at the March, July or December boards of review.
2016 Poverty Exemption
Policy for Applicants Requesting Consideration for a Poverty Exemption
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ !
- All applicants must obtain the proper applications from the City Assessor’s Office. Handicapped or infirmed applicants may call the Assessor’s Office to make necessary arrangements for assistance.
- All applicants must be the property owners & reside therein.
- Must produce a driver’s license or other acceptable method of identification.
- Must produce a deed, land contract, or other evidence of ownership if the Assessor requests it.
- All applicants must fill the application form in its entirety and return it, in person, to this office, except as noted in Item 1 above.
- Must not sign until returned.
- Application must be notarized by the Assessing Office staff.
- All applicants must submit most recent copies of the following:
- Federal Income Tax Return - 1040 or 1040A
- State of Michigan Income Tax Return
- Homestead Property Tax Claim MI-1040CR
- All statements of Income (W-2’s, 1099’s)
- NOTE: All requested tax returns must be attached upon return to the Assessing Department. Without them the Board of Review will not consider your application.
- All applications may be filed with this office beginning February 1st. An exemption may be granted for the current year only, and may only be considered by the Board of Review. The Board of Review meets three times per year, each March, July and December.
- Applications may be reviewed by the Board of Review without applicant being present. However, the Board may request that any or all applicants be physically present to respond to any questions they may have. This means that you could be called to appear on short notice.
- You may have to answer questions regarding your financial affairs, health, the status of people living in your home, etc. before the Board of Review, at a meeting which is open to and may be attended by the public.